Saturday, September 6, 2008

Day One... Iowa and Nebraska

Day one is done, and so far... I cant complain about the RV life! No stopping for bathroom breaks or a "I'm thirsty or I'm hungry" We had it all with us! We drove from Wisconsin to Gothenburg, NE. On the road about 12 hours total (with stops to get gas and to eat lunch and the kids to play).

We left around 7 am. Passing over the mississippi I realized none of the kids has been over the missippi. In fact, Josie is the only one who has left the state! When she was 1 Jerry drove her to see me in Fort Lee, Virginia.

Josie was still sleeping (Check out the 'do when she woke up!) and Gunner was to busy trying to eat his toes to notice the river (above). Buddy watched the river through the window... without realizing he was leaving the state for the first time in his life.
They are excited- They want to see the Presidents Mountain (Mount Rushmore) and the House from the movie (DeSmit, South Dakota Home of House on the Prairie) and Elk, and well lets just say the question of "when do we get to see ____ " is starting to get old.

We stopped and got some Iowa magnets at the gas station. Jerry and I decided it was the one souviner the kids could get in every place that we wouldnt end up throwing out in 3 months.
All three kids napped and played, and we even did "school work".
So far, I'm not ready to lock them up in a closet. (and mind you, There is a closet big enough for all three in the RV!)

I thought I was pretty hot shit- I looked up playgrounds on the internet and found out Nebraska has several at their rest stops. So I wrote all the rest stops down that had them and my big plan was to stop at some fun playground and let the kids get their pent up energy out.

Nebraska should not advertise "playgrounds" at the rest stops. It wasnt a playground.. just some tubes with holes in them that the kids played with for 10 minutes and were done. A two year old would have fun on these "playgrounds" for a long time. A 4 and a 5 year old.. not so much.

Worth the special stop? I dont know... we could have stopped at a McDonalds Playland and they may have had more fun and done more running around. But.. they enjoyed it so I guess I cant complain. They got some fresh air, we got to blab with Grandpa Gerber for awhile.. and we got a family pic next to some rock structure.
We got to The KOA Kampground around 8. Pizza Hut was nice enough to deliver right to our site!
Another LONG day of driving tomorow.

So my new goal is to visit as many of the 49 states we can get to by RV with the kids sometimes before they are to old to want to go hang
out with Mom and Dad.
I wonder if I'll still want to do that by the time we get home from this 2 week trip???

No comments: